Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Where Did They Go?

The one thing that will drive any suburban housewife absolutely mad is repetitive pet urine stains in the carpeting. The odor is seemingly impossible to eliminate and flares up in the warmer weather, causing quite a household stench. This can be very embarrassing and uncomfortable for the humans of the household, and although they love "Fido" it remains the number one reason the most dogs are taken to the shelter. There is something inexpensive and effective in removing these urine stains, and it works so well that your dog cannot pick up the odor of his previous mishap, and therefore is less likely to repeat it in that area.

Dogs have a very strong sense of smell, this is instinctual. This helps them to locate the spot or spots that they prefer to urinate on. So many people use pet odor eliminators or stain removers that fail to completely eliminate that odor enough so that your pet can't smell it, and the pet repeats the same act in the same area, over and over. As well, other pets can also smell these scents and will attempt to "mark" over the area as a sign of dominance. So it would seem that completely eliminating this odor is the only thing a person can do. There are many ways advertised to do this, and I had tried most of them only to have the same problem continue.

One day while I was getting ready to launder a batch of rags I used to soak up the urine stains, when it occurred to me that the rags always came out of the laundry sparkling clean and odor free. Now of course I thought to myself, it couldn't be that simple. It was definitely worth a try, so I bought color-safe liquid laundry detergent, and added 1/3 detergent to 2/3 water to my carpet shampooer. Then I turned it on and went to work, I went over the stained areas two to three times. Then I filled it with 1/4 white vinegar (widely known to remove odors) and 3/4 warm water and again went over the affected areas two to three times. I let the carpet air dry, it only took a few hours, and it was a heavy pile carpet.


Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment