Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Removing Smells from a Carpet

Stinky smells can come from anything and everything in your house. When it's your carpet, it's even harder to deal with. You may not have a carpet cleaner, and renting one can be so costly. I know, it cost me $50 to rent one for a day. Although they can work well with a lot of hard work and a little more than just the cleaner they tell you to use. They can be a pain when you don't have the money to rush out and get one on short notice.

I knew I had to come up with a better way. You know for those in between times that you don't need to shampoo the whole carpet, just freshen it up. That's when I started experimenting. I tried lemon zest boiled in water, didn't phase the carpet. I tried baking soda, it worked some but was a hassle to get back up.

Then I discovered vinegar and baking soda. Now mind you it liked to bubble up as I tried to pour in the vinegar, but if you pour it slowly it does just fine. Then you can spray it on any fabric surface and it removes smells and doesn't leave that vinegar smell.

Another thing I found that works well, not as good at times, is 409 carpet cleaner. I used in conjuction with the carpet cleaner and it brought out stains that were a couple years old. Using by itself is almost effective. Plus it gives it a nice smell and can be done in a few minutes. I spray it on my carpet, use a brush or broom and get it into the carpet fibers well, then wait a few minutes. When I vacuum it back up, it may not have removed all the stains, but it will freshen the carpet. But again, if you use it with a shampooer, you'll be amazed.

If you own a small hand-held shampooer using the 409 carpet cleaner and the baking soda/vinegar mixture helps remove dirt and stains and keeps the carpet smelling fresh longer.

Best part, you can use it as much as you want. There's nothing in it that would hurt anyone. So next time give it a try and see for yourself.


Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment