Friday, May 27, 2011

Cha-Ching: Making Clutter Payoff

Yesterday, I did exactly what I said I would do. I gathered all those outdated VHS tapes, and grabbed a shelf full of books, added them to the bags of books I already bagged. I then grabbed the bags of items I had deemed destined for Goodwill, loaded up the car and took each to their specified destinations.

I felt energized as I pulled into the Goodwill drop off lane. And I felt even more energized as I dragged five bags of books into Half Priced Books. As I sat the bags of books on the counter a sudden weight felt as if it had been lifted off my shoulders! I was free of books! Well, at least a good portion of them.

For this task, there was reward. Albeit $17, but it was money in the pocket I did not have before. It was so hard to not buy another book or two while in the store, but I made it out without any additional purchases.

It makes me wonder how much more money I can make off these shelves. I know a lot of people would probably be clamoring over that complete Harry Potter collection. Or, since it is the beginning of spring, all of those diet and weight-loss books I've collected.

You see, one of the things I hope to accomplish with this is that as I remove the clutter from my surroundings, I'll be able to remove the clutter of my mind and then the clutter around my waistline. Because of all the *stuff* lying around the house, I come home feeling defeated, which then makes me depressed, then leading to the cookie aisle at the local grocery store. Even our kitchen cupboards become a source of clutter in our lives, causing us to feel overwhelmed leading us to the nearest fast food drive-thru lane.

There is that word again: overwhelmed. It is a common theme when we become so burdened with so much around us. It equates in time. It equates in finances. It equates in relationships. It equates in our well-being. Don't you want to lose the chains that keep you tied down to the things that clutter and weigh us down? I know I do. And that is our goal. To free ourselves from burdens that keep us anchored.

Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment