Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Save Hundreds of Dollars on Carpet Cleaning

The project I chose to take on for this little DIY test -- the carpet cleaning of my in-law's downstairs family room, stairs and bedroom areas -- was not a particularly difficult one, and was one that is probably within the scope of abilities for many homeowners. Now I should preface the rest of my comments by mentioning that having worked in the operation's side of the hotel business, I am familiar with carpeting cleaning work. That being said, while television commercials might portray companies as magic miracle workers when it comes to carpet cleaning, there's often not that much too it, even for cleaning a completely filthy carpet.

The Equipment

For my DIY carpet cleaning project, I rented a Rug Doctor carpet cleaner from our local Jewel-Osco grocery store. The machine is relatively small (I think it weighs about 36 lbs., but you can check at the Rug Doctor website) and easy to handle. At our location, you can rent the machine for a 24-hour period for between $20-$30, and have the option of also getting a hand held accessory for cleaning stairs or upholstery for an additional fee. You can also purchase cleaning solutions such as deodorizers, shampoo, pre-spotter, anti-foam and similar supplies when you rent the machine. This particular machine is relatively easy to fill, easy to empty, and simple to use with instructions printed on the machine itself for filling, emptying, and using the various components of the machine.

Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment