Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Natural Carpet Cleaning: Chemical-Free Alternatives

Carpets and small children do not often go together well. Neither do carpets and pets. I'm not a big carpet lover, but I have it, and that means I have to keep it clean one way or another. Chemical cleaners are simply not an option for my family, given I have a child who is extremely sensitive to many cleaning chemicals. Thankfully, there are many other options available, most of which are easily purchased at any grocery or even dollar store.

One of the simplest and most basic carpet fresheners is my favorite all-purpose freshener - baking soda. If my carpet simply needs a bit of a touch up, I sprinkle baking soda over it liberally and allow it to sit overnight. Vacuum it up the next morning, and voila! Fresh-smelling carpet. Dry cornstarch also works well for this purpose, and if you want to get fancy, you can switch it up by adding various fragrances. I've found that adding crushed dried lavendar bits to my baking soda leaves my house smelling absolutely wonderful. Mixing in a few drops of essential oils, perhaps eucalytus, tea tree oil, lavendar, or even orange or lemon would also work well, just make sure to mix it well and break up any clumps that appear.

Spots require a bit more work, but believe it or not, there are still easy natural ways to snuff out carpet spots without having to invest lots of time and money. Club soda, poured directly on a fresh spot, works wonders. My favorite no-fail trick for tough spots is to mix ¼ cup salt, ½ cup Borax (in the laundry and detergent aisle of your store), and ¼ cup vinegar together in a big bowl. I then dump a little directly onto the spot and scrub it in. After a few hours, I simply vacuum up the remainder. For smaller spots, plain vinegar works well.


Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment