Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How Do You Get Candle Wax and Dye Out of Carpet?

How do you get candle dye out of carpet?? This was once my question and I finally found the only thing I could ever find to work.... Vegetable oil!!! Yes shocking I know but I have tried it all and spent many hours online trying to find the solution. As a candle maker myself I had to find the answer to this question.

How did I find this? Of course, searching online years back I came across vegetable oil and thought there is no way and how on earth would anyone even think to try that. Well it happened one day my kids knocked over an orange candle that had been burning for a couple hours. So I had a big neon orange spot of candle wax/dye on my white carpet, not fun at all.

I began searching everywhere and tried everything from baking soda and oxy clean to numerous bottles of cleaner. I even tried the fragrance oil that my candles are made from because that oil will take the dye off of my hands and just about anything else it gets on although that is a very expensive way to clean it up. I also have what is called candle wax remover that I buy from the candle store and that would not work.

I finally just said what the heck let me try the vegetable oil and it came up. I applied a very small amount first and went over it with my carpet shampooer because I did not want to use so much oil that the carpet cleaner would not pick it up. A little at a time I did some vegetable oil then cleaned it with the carpet cleaner and just went back and forth and little by little it came up. I could not believe my eyes. I even had a friend that her daughter knocked over a hot pink candle and she called me wanting to know if I knew what to do and I suggested this and she said it worked for her as well.

I was also told that the baking soda has worked for a lot of people and I could not get the baking soda to budge my stain. It was in there like glue. That candle dye is very potent and if you get it on anything it is going to stain it. Like I said I have not found many things that work but I was so amazed that vegetable oil of all things I have seen, heard, and even tried was what finally worked. I would suggest only using a very small amount and working it in and out so that you do not overwhelm your carpet with a big blob of oil. Good Luck!


Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment