Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How to Get the Smell of Dog or Cat Urine Out of Carpets

Getting rid of the smell of dog or cat urine on carpets is difficult to say the least, but it can be done. In most cases, we don't even know the pet has urinated on the carpet until we notice the smell. By the time we find it, most of the urine has been absorbed, which makes it even harder to remove, especially if it is cat urine.

The method I used worked very well. One of my cats urinated on the carpet in my bedroom one day. I have no idea why. I was sitting at my desk and heard a slight spraying sound. I turned and low and behold she was in the corner, urinating on the carpet. I went to work on it immediately and completely got rid of the smell.

If you catch it soon after it happens, soak it up right away with disposable cleaning cloths or paper towels and clean the area with a good carpet cleaner. Once it dries, dust it with cornstarch, brush it into the area with the broom or cleaning brush and allow it ten to fifteen minutes to absorb the odor then vacuum.

The cornstarch will eliminate most of the odors of dog urine, but you will have to keep treating the area to remove cat urine since it is so much stronger. Repeating the process is recommended because part of the cornstarch which has absorbed the odor is still in the carpet.

Therefore, repeating the process of cleaning it with a good carpet cleaner should remove the residue and get rid of the odor. However, if this fails, you have another option. You can remove the smell permanently by cutting the piece out and replacing it.

My two cats shared the same litter-box which I kept in the laundry room. Somehow, a towel got draped across it, preventing them from using it. Later that morning, I saw the towel and of course I removed it and had no idea how long it had been there. That evening, I was crossing the living room when I caught the stench of cat urine. I knew what had happened. One or both of the cats had urinated in the living room.


Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment