Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Eliminate Pet Odors

Have you ever experienced pet odor in your carpet that you could not get rid of no matter how hard you tried? Do you have tenants that have allowed their pet to soil your carpets? Did you have a puppy that had several accidents? I have some easy steps on how you can start to try to get the pet odor out for good.

I learned these tricks when I had a tenant that had several unauthorized animals in my rental unit. The pet odor was so bad that I didn't know what to do. I tried everything once I noticed I had to replaced the carpet- laying down charcoal, bleached the floors, and nothing got rid of the stench of pet urine. The pet odor was astounding. Here is the steps I tried, and ultimately used to rid my apartment of pet odors.

Professionally Clean Your Carpets

Clean your carpet using a service advertised in the yellow pages. For a three bedroom two bath home with a living room and den, you might be out $500. Of course, you can always steam the carpets yourself with a Rug Doctor from your local grocery store. If you use the Rug Doctor, make sure you invest in the chemicals that they have for pet odor elimination. If the pet odor remains in your carpet after the cleaning, then you need to replace the carpet to rid your floor of the pet odor.

Rip Up The Carpet

Rip up the carpet yourself and look at your floor. Chances are your pet odors have left stains in the concrete. If you have wood floors, proceed with caution because I have only done this on concretefloors in single level houses. IF you see large areas of discoloration in your concrete, know this: the smell and stains will come back through your floor up through the new carpet. It might take three years or so,but the stains and smell will return.


Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment