Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Spring Cleaning Checklist: How to Keep Your Home Clean and Organized

I like to begin in my living room and work through my house. It usually takes me a couple of weekends but then my house is really clean from top to bottom. Living areas:

1.I begin my taking my broom and wrapping an old towel around the bottom. Then I "sweep" the corners of the ceiling and all areas around the ceiling to make sure they are clean from dust or other materials.

2. I use an old cloth to wipe down the walls from top to bottom and then clean the baseboards with a mild detergent safe for the paint or stain.

3. Clean all doorframes and trim.

4. I move all of the furniture and clean under each one. Make sure that if you have slipcovers that you throw them in the wash too.

5. Either wash rugs or take them outside, hang them up and give them a good beating with the broom to clean them thoroughly of dust and particles that have gathered over the winter.

6. Wash the inside of each window and make sure you pay special attention to the windowsills. I vacuum them and then wipe each one down after I have washed the windows.

In the kitchen:

1. Empty the refrigerator and the freezer and throw away anything that is out of date. Clean the entire inside of the refrigerator with a mild soap solution as well as the outside. Make sure that you check the bottom for dust and clear any dust away from the vents.

2. Wipe down and clean the outside of all cabinets paying special attention to the bottom of the cabinets and the floor underneath the cabinet doors. Clean the baseboard thoroughly under each cabinet.

3. Remove the contents of each cabinet and scrub the insides before replacing the clean liners. Make sure that all drawers are emptied and new liners are placed in those as well.
Ref: Carpet & Rug Institutes Carpet Maintenance Guidelines Products I Like To Clean My Carpets: Febreze Carpet care  

No comments:

Post a Comment