Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How to Remove Urine from Carpet with White Vinegar

What Is That Terrible Smell?

I have two dogs and four cats in our household, a toddler just learning to potty train, and a baby. Hence, there are potty accidents galore in our house.

I used to find a puddle of urine on my carpet and get a sinking, angry, panicked feeling. I'd absorb it with towels, make a mixture of soapy water, and blot with a sponge. Unfortunately, no matter how many times I cleaned it, the spot continued to exude that unmistakable urine smell. I finally bought a carpet cleaning machine. Though more efficient at absorbing wetness and quicker than the towel and soapy sponge routine, there still remained the distinctive urine scent now with a hint of cleaner on top. I was self-conscious that every guest would notice a urine smell the moment they walked through the door.

The Aha Moment - Vinegar Really Works!

Urine contains high amount of bonded nitrogen, that ammonia-like odor especially strong in pet urine (www. wiki.answers.com). I'd tried everything including bleach, detergent, hydrogen peroxide, carpet cleaners, and lemon juice, some of which damaged my carpet and left toxic residue.


Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment