Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How to Remove Cat Urine from Carpets

The answer from some people would be "get rid of the cat(s)!!!" That is NOT an option for me, so what to do?

Not only do we have our personal cats, but we have our fosters. Cats are always coming and going in our home.
Accidents happen. No one enjoys the aroma of cat urine. We have tried just about everything there is. Believe me, we have. We have tried the enzyme removers from pet stores. We have tried vinegar and baking soda. We have tried hydrogen peroxide. We have tried Lysol, and Febreeze. We have tried every advertised urine smell remover we have seen. Every scent-- we do know cats do not enjoy citrusy scents.

There are only two which work--- and by work--- I mean they WORK!!!!!

Odoban is sold in gallon containers at Sam's Clubs and 32 ounce spray bottles in Wal Mart and O'Reilly Auto Parts Stores. This is a non toxic cleanser with a light eucalyptus scent. Spray it on the allotted area-enough to fully saturate it and let it sit for thirty minutes.

Then vacuum the carpet or rugs.

This one is our preferred cleaner as it is non toxic, and inexpensive ($10.00 a gallon). But to be honest we have had to re-spot the area to thoroughly eliminate lingering odors.

The other cleaner we LOVE but it is not inexpensive is URINE-OFF ($45.00 a gallon or 15.00 for a 32 ounce spray bottle). It can be found in specialty stores, vet's offices and on line. You might have even seen it advertised on television. It comes with a black light- but if you have a nose--- and it works-then you do not really need the black light to let you know where the urine is "hiding". This cleaner works the same as ODOBAN and works the first time.

If your cat is urinating just outside the litter box- he or she might be trying to tell you something is wrong --- a trip to the veterinarian would be a safe call.

If you have the rugs lined with plastic underneath, my advice is to replace them. Cats gravitate towards plastic the same as they do litter boxes. What is a litter box made out of anyway-plastic. To them, they are not committing any grievous sin by urinating on a bath mat.

Ref: associatedcontent.com


1 comment:

  1. Ugh, there's nothing I hate more than the smell of cat pee! 😾

    I used to have such an issue with my cats back in the times of living alone with them. You wouldn't believe the mayhem they caused! Seriously! 🙀

    One of my 2 cats (both neutered guys) had taken to painting the majority of my dividers, furniture, and whatever else he could reach. I was alarmed when I got an UV light. He never did that in the majority of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a mate (they cherish one another and did so immediately) however when a weird dark cat fired appearing outside both of my cats went crazy and the more seasoned one (9) began his divider painting, just as the window ornaments out in the kitty room. I couldn't stay aware of it.

    My cats are indoor cats so dislike the stray is really going to get in here yet the two of them detest him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats loathe him as well). I've taken a look at cleaning with a pet pee compound and afterward spraying some "No More Spraying" however that hasn't worked. He's a tricky little bugger as well; he holds up until he believes I'm not looking and afterward does it. He's discovered that the moment I see him backing his butt looking for trouble he gets shouted at.

    It wasn't until I found "NoMoreCatPee" that I had the option to at long last dispose of this tedious conduct.

    Currently my home doesn't smell like a litter box any longer :)

    Here's a link if you're interested in checking out their site: NoMoreCatPee.com 👈

    Cheers! 🎉

    ReplyDelete