Monday, April 18, 2011

Homemade Green Products: Shampoo Carpets and Keep the Ants Away

Consumers are sick and tired of using chemicals. In the old days, natural methods were used for just about everything and they had better results.
Carpet Shampoo
You carpet is stained and you don't have enough money to buy carpet shampoo or you want to avoid chemicals in your home. What do you do? Use vinegar. Seriously.

I have old and stubborn stains in my carpet and the shampoo I bought at the store for $30 only removed half of them. The next weekend, I decided to try mixing half vinegar and half water in my machine, doubting it would work but desperate to get rid of these stains.

The result? Not only did it clean my carpets, but the vinegar did a better job than the expensive carpet shampoo I bought at the store. The smell afterwards is a bit strong, so now I squirt a little dishwashing liquid in the cleaner and it does the trick.

No spending tons of money and your home is free of chemicals so you do not have to worry about triggering an asthma attack, allergic reactions or rashes on your child from crawling on the carpet after you shampoo it.

Cleaning Metal Sinks
Vinegar has a lot of other uses as well. My favorite is cleaning metal sinks... vinegar makes them shine and sparkle better than any household cleaner on the market. You can use vinegar on any metal surface.

Ant Killer and Ant Prevention
Cucumber slices do not work. Vinegar does not work. Cinnamon does not work. Dish soap does not work. All these home remedies I have tried without success. In desperation, pest control came with powerful chemicals and it did not work. I bought Home Defense and it did not work. The ants just came back a few hours later and they tripled in number. They were on my sidewalk, my patio, my porch, my doorstep and crawling all over the outside of my front door. Luckily, very few of them make their way indoors. But still, I wanted to be able to sit on my front porch and enjoy the sunset. I wanted my 13-month-old daughter, Mary-Grace, to be able to play outside on the patio.

Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment