Thursday, April 14, 2011

Natural Cleaning Products: Why Not To Use Them

I've been cleaning the chemicals out of my life for years now. When I found out that the sodium laurel sulfate in the chemical shampoo was stripping my hair, I switched to a natural shampoo. When I read that the parabens in many cosmetics have been linked to menstrual problems, I started using Jason and Burt's Bees. When I needed a new shower curtain, I bought cloth instead of vinyl to avoid the out gassing. So why am I, little miss back to nature, still cleaning with chemicals? They work! They're convenient. They're efficient. They leave a nice smell in the bathroom.

I read articles about why we should all stop using toxic cleaning products in our homes. I was convinced. I went on-line and looked up all kinds of natural cleaning solutions. I tried them out with great enthusiasm. I looked forward to tossing the toxics. Just think of the money I would save once I no longer had to stock Clorox, Pine-Sol, Comet, Windex and the like. My enthusiasm was as short lived as bleach once its been mixed with water. What happened? Let's take it product by natural product.

Vinegar

Vinegar is a great natural germ killer. There's nothing better for routine carpet cleaning. It won't remove stains (you'll need a chemical for that), but it will sanitize, brighten and deodorize you rugs. All without leaving a soapy, dirt-attracting residue. To use it, pour it into your machine's shampoo dispenser and "shampoo" the carpet as usual.

So where's the problem? It stinks. Even with the windows open and the fans on, it takes a long time for the smell to go away. This is why I don't use it for anything except the carpet. I like the house to smell good after I clean it, not like it needs a good airing.

Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment