Saturday, August 27, 2011

Taking Care of Fido



I retired about 3 years ago and decided it was the perfect time to get a new puppy. I had to put my 9 year old toy poodle to sleep right after I retired and missed him terribly. I researched breeds and looked at our lifestyle and what kind of doggie would fit in with the things we like to do, and finally, after 2 years we added a dog to our family. When our little miniature schnauzer was 5 months old I received a job offer that was hard to refuse. So I decided to re-enter the workforce.

My little "Fido" was house broken and we had a dog door leading into a fenced yard so I figured he would be okay during the day while I was at work. After all, he had an "older" brother to play with (our 9 year old Rottweiler) and learn from. The Rott never gave us a minute's trouble - never chewed things up, never had accidents in the house, never acted out when we left him alone or anything. I mistakenly expected the same thing from the puppy. Boy did we get a surprise. He has chewed about 5 holes in our wall to wall carpet (that is only 3 years old). He has chewed holes in our 3 year old living room sectional sofa. He has chewed the corner wall molding in our hallway. He has chewed the door frame in our laundry room. He has taken every loose thing he can get his mouth around outside and chewed it up. I've been through about 5 pair of bedroom slippers (until I got smart enough to put them away so he couldn't get to them). He has chewed up many of our grandchildren's toys. He has destroyed socks.

Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment