Saturday, August 27, 2011

How to Save Money on Cat Care



In my 17 years as cat owner, I have spent a lot of money. These days, I have learned my lesson and spend quite a deal less. Here are some ways to save money on cat care.

Prevent fleas by keeping your cat inside. Unless you have other animals that go outside, you cannot spontaneously get fleas if it is an indoor cat. (Except for that time, I moved into an apartment that already had fleas.) You can save a ton of money on flea treatments for your home and cat if you just keep it indoors.

Prevent injury to your cat by keeping it indoors. I was told by a vet years ago that the best way to ensure a long life for your cat is to keep it indoors. This way it cannot be attacked by other animals or are hit by a car.

Do not buy cat litter. I cannot imaging how much money I have spent over the years on cat litter, and cat litter boxes. I have even purchased expensive boxes that cleaned themselves. They were all a waste of time and money. I was always cleaning litter from the floor around the box, and when the cat decided she did not like the electric box anymore, she started going on the carpet. That was very costly. I do not deal with these things anymore.

Instead of an expensive electronic litter box, I use a simple plastic box inside of a wicker-like cover that gives the cat some privacy. Instead of cat litter, I rip up junk mail and newspapers in 1-inch strips. I put that on top of a full sheet of paper to make it easy to pick up. With one cat, the litter box can go for a full week without changing. If it does start to smell, and I do not have time to stop and change it, I just rip up another few sheets of newspaper and toss it in. It will be good for another day.

Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment