Thursday, April 14, 2011

Spring Cleaning of Your House Step by Step

My grandmother was a human cleaning tornado. She lovingly raised eight kids on daily home cooked meals while keeping a full vegetable/flower garden, some small livestock, and a spotless house. No one dust-sneezed in her house...ever.
I kept my eye on her as I did my share of chores and watched the secrets of her household success unfold. I've organized what she taught me into a ten-step program that can make basic spring-cleaning a breeze. Some of these tips will keep your house smelling and looking fresh all year long. These are basic spring-cleaning steps but; with the exception of rugs and curtains, this cleaning can be done weekly.

Before you begin, gather supplies. Essentials include:

1. A roomy basket or sturdy box for collecting things that have been "misplaced".

2. A vacuum cleaner or broom

3. A bucket with the following cleaning supplies: (I keep one under my bathroom sink all the time because I'm too lazy to look for supplies each time I need to clean.)
  • Paper towels or a "shammy" (chamois leather is lint free)

  • Multi surface or window cleaner

  • Paintbrush -for dusting books and nooks

  • Toothbrush -for scrubbing stains

  • Putty knife- removes gum, tar, mud and dried food

  • Kitchen sized garbage bag- empty individual trash cans and found garbage into it

  • Spray bottle filled with water and one teaspoon of baking soda

  • Large damp washcloth or rag.

  • Furniture polish or stain remover (optional- my family hates the smell)

  • Toilet cleaner


To save time follow these steps:1. Take down curtains and remove throw rugs in every room and either wash them or send them out to be cleaned before starting spring-cleaning. They hold a lot of pollutants and there is no reason to spring-clean if toxins will remain!

2. Squirt toilets and stains with cleaners and allow it to sit while you do other rooms for additional disinfecting. If you are doing your oven this is also an excellent time to spray it so the chemicals can be working with you.

Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment