Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fly Control: Weird Things You Can Do with Baggies, Plus Shaving Cream Carpet Cleaning Tips

Fly Control with Ziploc Bags, Water and Pennies? Be Patient, I'll Explain.

Lindy Lou gets soooooo many invitations, and at a patio party this weekend I saw something so weird I said "wow, that's weird." There were Ziploc bags full of water pinned to posts, Ziploc bags for fly control! I repeated.

My hostess is not one baggy short of a lunchbox, she is a brilliant pesterologist! The bags of water and pennies act like prisms in the sun, giving off shafts of moving light, even reflecting nearby people, and practically blinding all 136 eyes every fly has. (Of course I haven't actually counted.) Flies are scared of Ziploc bags full of water! Who knew? In fact they get so scared they stop buzzing and start whining.

"Water in a plastic bag as an organic fly repellent."

Lest you scoff, let me elaborate: Water molecules seen through plastic look like little disco balls to flies, and they are not into disco. Also, flies are slightly paranoid about the fact that so many other species regard them as yummy snacks. So they stay away from strange flashing bags of water that might want to eat them, plus they are morbidly afraid of water, being as they can't swim.

Yes it's true, and if you don't believe me, just ask the Dirt Doctor who said: "I've seen the use of water in a plastic bag as a fly repellent for over a year and it seems to be growing in use. What an "expert" from my area claimed was that the fly mistook the bag as a large spider web. Something about the way the water bulging in a clear plastic bag causes a prism effect and confuses the fly." (These people are Fly-Whisperers.) Now do you believe me? Oh, go Google it. There are 7,970 entries in Google for "baggies for fly control."

Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment