Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The All-Natural Way to a Fresh, Clean Home

Seven and a half years ago when my oldest son was an infant, I was cleaning the bathroom. As a busy new mother, I was struggling to find the proper balance between holding and caring for my infant and taking care of our
home. I felt like I was handling both well when I placed my son in a bouncy seat on the bathroom floor, where he cooed happily as he watched me clean. I sprayed the sink and mirror thoroughly with a chemical cleaner that I had bought at the local grocery store. I was horrified as I saw the cleaning spray mist float in the air and land on my baby's face. He giggled as I raced to get a damp washcloth to clean his face.
Questions raced through my mind. What would this do to his skin? Would it seep into his circulatory system? Would it affect his nervous system? Had any of the cleaner gotten in his mouth, his nose or his eyes? Once he was clean, I still felt uneasy. I was sure the cleaner had left a residue on his innocent little body and I considered calling poison control. He continued to laugh and coo happily, so I decided not to go that route, but I kept my eye on him for any unusual symptoms. Luckily, none appeared. But, from that day forward, I decided I would no longer use chemical cleaning products in my home.
My reaction may sound extreme, but I still stand by my decision to ban chemical cleaners from my house. Now, over seven years later and with two children, my home is a chemical free home and has been for some time.




Ref: associatedcontent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment